Beautiful Antique Victorian opal diamond Victorian trilogy ring.
Hand crafted in 18ct gold the gorgeous opals are interspersed with wonderful old cut diamonds
The stones are set in a traditional Victorian setting that sits above an attractive ornate scroll gallery and shoulders
The three colourful opals flash orange, green, red, blue and turquoise
This splendid ring looks stunning when worn.
- Central opal 6.5mm x 5.5mm outer opals 5.5mm x 4.5mm
- Old cut diamonds 4 x 2.5mm Total diamond weight circa 0.30
- Size is UK L US 6 it would easily re size
- 7.5mm wide at the front and it stands 4.8mm proud of the shank
- Tests 18ct gold hallmarks partly obscured
- This ring dates to the late Victorian period circa 1890
- It weighs an impressive 4.5 grams.
- This Antique Victorian opal diamond ring is in excellent original condition.
- Our ref 23189
Milky opals were commonly used in late 19th century jewellery when their versatility resulted in a wide assortment of designs such as bangles, set as a line of graduated cabochons with diamonds in between, cluster rings, fringe necklaces and crescent brooches. Superior examples exhibit an attractive play of red, green, and blue colours whilst inferior milky opals are almost completely white with minimal flashes. Milky opals were also set with rubies, emeralds and demantoid garnets in naturalistic designs such as butterflies. Mid-Victorian opals exhibiting a softer play of colour were sometimes set in scrolling gold brooches and necklaces enamelled in royal blue.
Mexican fire opal
These vibrant gems were used in Art Nouveau and Art Deco diamond jewellery. Fire opal is usually deficient of any play of colour but exhibits a singular shade of translucent mid to deep orangey – red.
Opal October Birthstone
Opal is the birthstone for people born in October and is one of the stones associated with Libra’s zodiac sign (Sept 21 to Oct 22).
Libras are usually cooperative, diplomatic people who tend to be very fair-minded and socially responsible.
Opal can help to amplify these strengths in Librans and also to mitigate tendencies towards self-pity and indecisiveness in people born under this star sign.